Toll-free emergency & information line: 1-855-887-8278
Local calls: 540-267-3435
824 W. Main Street
Radford, VA 24141
Individuals with developmental disabilities shall be supported with services that allow the individual to live the most inclusive life possible in his/her community which includes access to appropriate and effective crisis stabilization, intervention, and prevention services including mental health treatment services when indicated.
Who is eligible for REACH services?
- REACH (Regional Education Assessment Crisis Services Habilitation) is open to individuals ages 18 and above with a documented intellectual disability or developmental disability and mental health or behavioral needs.
What does REACH do?
- REACH provides a clinical team and resource center in each of Virginia’s five health planning regions.
- The clinical team provides 24/7 crisis response and consultation as well as on-going preventative, cross-systems crisis planning.
- Once the immediate crisis is resolved, the REACH clinical team continues to work with the individual, system of supports and services in order to prepare for crises, reduce the frequency of needed interventions, and assist with ongoing stability.
- The REACH resource center has 6 beds with three beds available for individuals in crisis and three available for planned
- REACH resource center is designed to provide short-term treatment (may be up to 30 days)
- REACH provides 24-hour on-call services to existing REACH clients
How does REACH collaborate with Emergency Services?
- REACH does not replace Emergency Services for mental health crises. REACH personnel are NOT certified pre-screeners. The REACH clinical team is available to assist, support and consult with Emergency Services staff at the CSB/BHA within the region when individuals with ID are having a mental health crisis.
- REACH clinical teams may assist local Emergency Services with assessment by travelling to the local CSB/BHA, local hospitals and wherever the current system assesses individuals in crisis.
How do I refer an eligible individual to REACH?
- Call our toll-free number 1-855-887-8278
- Email us (email@example.com) for information/questions
- Referrals submitted by email must be encrypted for protection of Private Health Information
- If you do not have the ability to encrypt emails, please submit your referral by fax to 540-267-3403
- Referral sources may include: parents and natural supports, legal guardians, CSB/BHA staff, emergency services, private providers, hospitals, etc.
- Referrals for individuals NOT in crisis at the time of the referral should be made during business hours (8:30 AM – 5:00 PM)