Amanda B. Cox, Program Supervisor
CARES is a case management program based on a home visitation model of service for families referred by local Departments of Social Services that may have barriers to finding employment based on substance abuse and/or mental health needs.
Case managers provide services and additional referrals for services based on individual and family needs. Case managers also have close collaboration with local Department of Social Services to ensure that medical exemptions, SSI applications or work requirements are completed as necessary.
Case management services to clients with serious mental illness and/or substance abuse diagnosis include:
• Linking to individual and group counseling services as well as psychiatric services as needed
• Assistance to appointments
• Help in locating available community resources
• Emphasis on social/interpersonal skill building, removing barriers to employment
• Monitor medical exemptions completed through NRVCS for expiration and renewal to coordinate condition of exemption
• Refer client to SSI and assist with facilitating process if necessary
• Coordinate transition plan for client that exit CARES program
Our mission is to provide quality case management services to families dually enrolled in TANF and VIEW along with optimizing healthy growth and development of the children and families we serve.
Who do we serve?
We serve TANF and VIEW families that may have barriers to finding employment due to mental health or substance abuse. Individuals and families are referred by local Departments of Social Services.
Collaborating With The Community:
CARES works within our own agency programs as well as with local community agencies to coordinate services without duplicating them, to provide wrap-around services.
Learn more at www.dss.virginia.gov.